Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Second Appointment

During our second appointment, we weren't shown any new files of children. Our translator/agent pressed the issue with the office, and they eventually called nearly every region in the country, only to report that there are no children under the age of 6 without severe disabilities. We're not sure if this is true, but that's what they told us. We are allowed to schedule a 3rd appointment, but it seemed pointless to do if they aren't going to show us any more children.

We weren't sure what to do. We didn't feel any clear leading from God. Mostly, I (April) just felt really guilty that we weren't open to adopting a severely disabled child. I know they deserve love and a family as much as any other child, but I don't think we're in a position at this time to choose to take that on. After caring for a special needs foster child (see our posts on Helen from a year ago), we have a better idea what it means to care for a special-needs child in a foreign country.

So, we chose to look into the file of one girl who we saw a picture of during our first visit. We have been told 3 vastly different accounts of her situation. We're going to visit her in a few days and make a decision then. That visit involves two 13 hour train rides to/from the other side of the Carpathian mountains. Normally, I would be excited about such an adventure. But - it's freezing outside, I'm tired, I'm sad and I'm very pregnant. I'm not sure how my pregnant body is going to do sleeping (or not sleeping) on that overnight train.

More details later- we're pretty wiped out right now. All we want to do is drink something warm, eat something sweet, and gather our thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us comments! Please remember not to mention the city/country we live in or the company we work for...