At first I thought that starting Trey on baby food would make my life easier (you know, free up my chest a bit). Now, my magic bullet and I know better. Trey hates baby food. At first he tolerated it with wary glances and confusion. Now, he's fully aware and fully able to fight back. How do you stop a baby from spitting and pushing the food out with his tongue??? Especially when he looks so cute doing it???
Magic Bullet and I are still trying. We've pureed more than our share of vegetables & fruits. We've wasted plenty of personally imported Target baby rice cereal. We've varied the times of day that we try to feed the little one. We've googled looking for advice.
When I let my dryer go, I wasn't prepared for the amount of dirty clothes that come with feeding a baby. Bibs are a joke when your baby is this determined not to eat. The carrot soup is everywhere, except under a small patch just below his neck.
Anyhow, as you can see from the picture, our boy is not suffering any weight loss. Our neighbors regularly admire his nice, plump cheeks. Still, we will persist with our banana purees, knowing that someday (sometime near his 1st birthday, to be exact) his ready milk supply will be drying up and this baby will be growing up, like it or not.
My third one was all about textures. She liked cinnamon added to stuff like yogurt, and has persisted on a steady diet of cheerios since she was 6 months (it's been two years, she still refuses anything she suspects has meat in it). None of my kiddos would eat home made baby food. I gave in and bought the Chinese versions of bone marrow and fish and carrots. Both of my kids preferred prepared Chinese food like cashew chicken and simple sauteed shrimp. Your baby may just not like soft mushy things!
ReplyDeleteI love this post. you are such a good mom and a good writer :) Lewis doesnt eat either. I just give him bites of my dinner and thats it. sometimes if I remember I give him bites of my lunch and breakfast too. and some days I forget all together to give him FOOD!!! OMG!!! but much like your plumpie, lewis is not suffereing. I figure around one i'll try harder with the food.
ReplyDeleteHey April, Your babies are both so precious! Rice cereal is gross--try oatmeal : )
ReplyDelete- Steph B.
Have you looked into Baby Led Weaning? It works for a lot of babies who don't like purees.
ReplyDelete