Saturday, December 14, 2013

Updates from a Temporarily Single Dad, Days 6

Wednesday was nice, because my classwork was finally done (except for one class hat finishes Jan 5th, but I'm not thinking about that one right now).  Cosi went to school like normal, Trey and I came home as normal, and while Trey played around the house, I tried to get some work done grading Greek final exams (One of my three jobs is the TA for Greek at the seminary).  Since the professor doesn't provide an answer key for me, the first hour of grading is spent taking the exam and checking to make sure all of my answers were right.  And that was about all the patience Trey had for me doing something that didn't involve him.

But then at 11, we had somewhere to be.  Cosi was going to be a shepherdess in the Christmas play for her class.  So Trey and hopped in the car to go see her class play.  When we got there, my first problem was parking.  Why are there so many cars here?  It's just one little class...oh...wait...I think this is a big deal.

My next problem was noticing that everyone else was walking with nice slacks and button-down shirts.  I looked like...a slob.  Not really, but I was sporting my jeans and t-shirt look, and Trey certainly wasn't dressed to the nines.

It was a big deal- hundreds of people, all the VPK and kindergarten students were performing on a big stage with lights and sound and songs and costumes.  I didn't bring a camera because I knew I'd just be holding or chasing a wiggly boy most of the time.  Fortunately, he was calm long enough for Cosi's portion (which was at the beginning, thankfully).  After that, he was running laps around the lobby and hallways.  Since we couldn't leave without Cosi, we had to wait until the whole thing was over- an hour!  It wasn't a problem- I was happy to stay and hear snippets of the other performances, usually getting louder and then receding into the background like a doppler effect as Trey and I ran past an open door...

Because Cosi did such a good job reciting her lines (but really because I was craving it and Trey was asking for french fries and chicken) we went to McDonald's for lunch.  The kids did OK, but Trey wouldn't touch his french fries or his chicken...

After we got home, we went outside to enjoy the weather.  It's been a nice week in Oviedo- high 70's, sunny- just happy weather.  Cosi hopped on her bike and Trey got in his truck and we too a walk around the block.  Then we dropped the toys off in the garage and went to the neighborhood playground.  The home for dinner!

After dinner, I put the Jesus Film on for Cosi to watch.  Technically, I put a shortened version of the Jesus film on, one that is tailored towards kids.  Cosi was hypnotized for the whole hour.  She's very interested in Bible stories, especially ones involving death, so...we've talked a lot about the crucifixion since then.

Trey, on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with it and kept trying to eject the DVD.  I had to distract him with other games in another room.  Afterwards, it was time for bed.  A pretty simple day, and we're getting into a nice rhythm, just in time for mommy to get home on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us comments! Please remember not to mention the city/country we live in or the company we work for...