Thursday, December 12, 2013

Updates from a Temporarily Single Dad, Day 5

This day was much like the previous one.  I had 3 hours of sleep, woke up with enough time to get Cosi ready for school, put a confused little boy into his car seat as he woke up, and dropped Cosi off at school.

Trey and I came home, and I did my best to find things to distract him while I put in the last couple of hours of work on my projects that were due at 5pm (not midnight!).

Trey made a good effort to slam shut any computer I had open, but I finally managed to finish, just in time to get ready to get Cosi from school.  Getting ready was important, because after picking Cosi up, I had to make sure that all three of us ate lunch and that I had snacks ready for both kids for the afternoon.  Cosi had a hearing test down in Orlando, and Trey was going to the Frames' house. 

Everything went smoothly.  Trey was happy to be with Mrs. Frame, and I'm sure he had a blast that afternoon.  Cosi did a good job in the drive to the hospital, though at some point I realized she was expecting to receive surgery at the hospital (after all, what else do they do there?).  She was handling those fears with remarkable calm.

The hearing test was preceded by 30 minutes of paperwork, just a foretaste of what's to come, I'm sure.  And the audiologist shares office space with a physical therapist, so everyone else arriving was in a walker or wheelchair.  This was one of those times that I tense up, knowing Cosi's "socially appropriate question" filter is set to "embarrass dad."  Most people found her questions endearing, though, except maybe when she asked for a turn to ride in their chair. 

The hearing test itself did not end up as funny or disastrous as I feared- Cosi did a GREAT job following instructions, and the verdict is that she has perfect hearing.  I joked with her that now I know she can hear me, she's just choosing to disobey.  She thought about that for a second and with a straight face said, "Yeah, I just disobey a lot."

We stopped at the gas station and got a Choco-Taco, which Cosi is now convinced is the greatest food ever invented.  We picked up Trey and spent some time with Mrs. Frame, but we had to hurry along because, believe it or not, we had another babysitter on the way.

I had a meeting at church that night.  Audra (the babysitter) couldn't arrive until 550pm, but that got me at least to the important parts of the meeting ;-)  Around 815, my part of the meeting was done and I headed home.  The house was still standing, the kids were still awake, and Audra seemed to have survived.  Once she left, a flurry of bedtime activity began.  I was ready to sleep myself, so I had to convince the kids that they were sleepier than they really felt.  At 915pm, it didn't take much convincing.  They were out by 930, and my caffeine wore off at around 11. 

Oh, and somewhere during the day each of the kids called April to wish her a happy birthday.  She already got her present :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us comments! Please remember not to mention the city/country we live in or the company we work for...