I'll spare you the minute by minute account. Around 1015pm, the kids were still both sound asleep in our bed, and having just finished one take home exam and a Dr. Pepper, I started in on my other take home exam. Five essay questions, 3 hours, open book. As I finished the first question, I heard Trey politely asking into the darkness for a drink of water. I obliged, but soon realized that he was pretty wide awake. After all, who asks politely for things when they're sleepy?
Anyway, after 30 minutes of trying to help him fall asleep, I gave up. I thought if he wanted to come snack and watch a video while I worked on my exam, that would be fine. Two hours later, I've finished 2 more questions, but I've had Trey on my lap the whole time and I have only been able to work in short spurts while he was distracted.
At 130am I decided he HAD to be sleepy. Or maybe I just decided I was too sleepy to care if he was sleepy or not. He objected, I insisted, we ended up back in the bed. Cosi slept through his protests. When he still wasn't asleep by 215, I agreed to set up the computer on the nightstand and let him watch a video while I slept. Cosi woke up and wanted to see the video.
By 3am, I was reawakened by an argument over what to watch next. (Trey wanted Mickey Mouse, Cosi wanted Little Einsteins, Cosi knows how to use the computer mouse to start a video, Trey knows how to hold down the "pause" button to keep the video from playing. When they reach an impasse, they resort to screaming.) In a less than charitable moment, I closed the computer, resulting in volcanic screams as if the end of the world was upon them. Trey apologized profusely for "pushing daddy's buttons," an unintentional double meaning I didn't catch at the time. Cosi just tried to appeal to Mommy, who I was unwilling to call for a judgment.
In the end, Trey fell asleep pretty quickly around 330am. Cosi lasted a little longer and had to calm down enough to sleep. I think she was out by 4. I was, at least.
But hey, I got one and a half exams done. And Cosi has school tomorrow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave us comments! Please remember not to mention the city/country we live in or the company we work for...