
I've seen this many times over the years and chuckled. When I saw it yesterday, I felt sick. Is this really how our society views adoption? Maybe I'm too sensitive? Or - maybe my eyes have been opened and I'm more aware.
The whole assumption behind the joke is that adopted children are not really a part of the family, they are outsiders and always will be.
But, can you imagine if it said, "Dude! I'm JOKING you are NOT black!!!" (Or - I can think of a number of other disturbing words to put in it's place) In the past, people would have laughed. Today, people know better. People know it's offensive.
I grew up 'joking' with my brothers about this very topic, adoption. When my older brother was angry with me, he might have snidely suggested I was adopted. If I misbehaved, my parents might have said, "You must be adopted, because we would never act that way." I, in turn, teased my younger brother and told him that he was adopted. In fact, I think I might have elaborated on the story and told him that he was found in a trashcan. I was a jerk. In each of these instances, the heart behind the joking was never loving. The comments were always born out of frustration and somehow the topic of adoption was brought in.
What would an adopted child think if they saw that picture and read that caption? Would they feel hurt? What message does that picture send to them? I'm worried that it might say, "No, you really ARE adopted, you really should be crying!" I would like to get feedback from other families who have adopted or people who are adopted. What do you think?
I write this post because I want our world to change. Just as many racial jokes are no longer socially acceptable, I hope that the same becomes true for the topic of adoption.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave us comments! Please remember not to mention the city/country we live in or the company we work for...