Saturday, December 10, 2011

Manipulating Children

My alternate title for this post was "Manipulating Children in Church."

It sounds bad. Maybe it is bad. But, in my quest to force children to like my daughter, I have become wise. (mental note: the word 'wise' sounds better than using any form of the word 'manipulate')

Example: Cosi sat down next to a little boy in kids church. The boy was not happy about it. He wanted some other boy to sit by him and in a snotty voice told us so. Cosi doesn't understand his words, but I'm beginning to think she might understand his tone. Normally, I might respond by gently informing the boy that there's an open seat on his other side or by using my mom voice and telling him that he can't save seats. This time I changed my tactic. I decided to flatter him. It worked.

typical boy: She can't sit there (whine...)
Cosi: Hiiiiii!!!!! (big smile)
me: Oh, what a nice shirt you have on - is that a horse? wow! I like horses.
typical boy: Yes, that is a horse. It's red.
me: A red horse? That's so cool!
Cosi: horse! horse! (squeal)
typical boy: (smiles, thinks he's awesome, forgets about his friend who may or may not be coming)
me: (self-satisfied smirk that might appear to be a friendly smile, but it's not)
Cosi: (jumps up to switch to another seat, totally oblivious to her mothers efforts on her behalf)


Perhaps my next post will be about passing on my issues to my child?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us comments! Please remember not to mention the city/country we live in or the company we work for...