Saturday, January 15, 2011

St. Sophia's

Rob here, taking a break from Cosi posts (because I'm almost out of videos) and showing some pictures and videos from my day touring Kiev. Actually, I only made it to one tourist site. I'll be hitting some more tomorrow, and then leaving for Svalyava on Monday.

St Sophia's is a pretty cool church, dating back about 1000 years. It's named after the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. I climbed up the bell tower and took a few pictures of the cathedral itself, as well as some shots of the city view.


This is the bell tower doing its thing:


And here's the view from the top. The blue cathedral across the way is St. Micheal's. Yes, two really awesome cathedrals a stone's throw apart. We took some pictures there a few weeks ago.



Here's the view of the cathedral from the ground:


















And from the bell tower:


















Looking over the square to St. Micheal's:


















And a closer view:



















The large Christmas tree in the Kiev train station. I haven't been able to capture on film how cool the lobby of the train station is. Every time I walk in there, it just feels...grand. The architecture is just beautiful, and I always end up tripping over something or bumping into people (or lagging behind April and our facilitator) because I just want to look up. It almost feels like a place of worship.
























And for a little chuckle, I have here a picture of the handicap accessible bathroom at St. Sophia's (note the wheelchair sign on the door). A picture that I took from the top of the staircase, which is the only way to access the bathroom.

1 comment:

  1. seems their love for the handicapped rivals the love that the E. Asian's have for them. Hilarious. Some things aren't wrong... just different. THAT is pretty wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us comments! Please remember not to mention the city/country we live in or the company we work for...