Monday, January 30, 2012

Jet Lag and the Sleepy Daddy

I'm typing this at 4am. Why? Insomnia? Crying baby? Nope. Far worse. It's baby jet lag.

Jet lag is something we've had to deal with as long as we've lived overseas. When you take an airplane across 12 time zones, your body gets confused and it takes a week to get back to normal. In the past, it was quaint. I'd get really sleepy at 1pm and try to power my way through with some caffeine. I would fight to stay up until 8pm, then I'd wake up at 3am, wide awake and hungry for dinner.

But with kids, jet lag is horrible. Imagine a toddler flopping on her back on the floor in the middle of the afternoon, moaning and trying to sleep, but also fighting sleep- for an hour. Or a toddler and a baby waking up for the day at 1am. I can't imagine what our downstairs neighbors think when they hear Trey's walker rolling across the floor at that hour.

Honestly, this time around our jet lag has been the best we've ever had. It only took 3 days to get to a 6pm bedtime, thanks to some mid-afternoon baths and trips to the playground. We were thinking we would be back to a normal sleep schedule tomorrow. But just when I think I'm safe, Cosi is shaking me awake at 3am and I'm blogging in the middle of the night while Sesame Street plays on the TV...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us comments! Please remember not to mention the city/country we live in or the company we work for...